Saturday, February 4, 2017

Next step - Supreme Court of the U.S.

Under both state and federal laws, an employee who notifies an employer of illegal policies and practices in the workplace, and who is fired for doing so, is protected by what are called Whistleblower statutes. Well, after the Maine Human Rights Commission took two years to investigate, then dismissed my complaint against Ken and Deb Martin, I filed lawsuit in Superior Court of Aroostook County in December of 2013. My case was being presided over by Judge Hunter for the most part. Yes, he's the judge who imprisoned me. Read about it in the last paragraph of a former post of mine.

Though the Committee for Judicial Responsibility and Disability dismissed my complaint against Hunter, it would later reprimand an attorney for doing exactly what Hunter had done: attempt to get a signature, or allow the prosecutor to, at a time when Pete (my husband) was without an attorney. I was away from home doing seasonal work at Wyman's of Maine in Cherryfield when I first read the story on my break in the factory's cafeteria. The Ellsworth American story is titled "Two area lawyers reprimanded". While I've provided a link to the newspaper's website, I can't find the story online. I did save the newspaper clipping, so I'll quote from it:
In a second order also issued July 20, Ellsworth attorney Steven A. Juskewitch was similarly sanctioned for his "repetitive improper conduct and inappropriate action" for communicating with a woman who was not his client, and who had no lawyer, in an effort to obtain her signature "on documents that would ultimately benefit his client..."
In that story, it's also mentioned that former Hancock County Assistant District Attorney William B. Entwisle of Sedgwick was sanctioned for actions "arising from his failure to turn over discovery materials to the defendants or their lawyers in two separate criminal cases he was prosecuting." A few years ago, I helped circulate a petition to Governor LePage calling for another Assistant D.A. from Hancock County, Mary Kellett, to be fired. According to this story on 10-31-16, Kellett is still practicing law in Maine. Vladek Filler, a man from Georgia, who used to live in Maine, and who was on the receiving end of Kellett's malicious prosecution, filed a lawsuit in federal court. The American Civil Liberties Union filed a "friend of the court" (aka amicus curaie) brief calling what she did a crime. I'd like to know how much Maine taxpayer money has been spent defending Mary Kellett, and the other 17 defendants named in Mr. Filler's case of denial of due process and fair trial. Kellett claims she has "absolute immunity". It's absolutely absurd.  

It wouldn't be the first time that a prosecutor twisted or withheld evidence in a case that ended in a wrongful conviction...anyone remember Dennis Dechaine?

Well, getting back to my case against Ken and Deb Martin. I will start working on a petition to the Supreme Court. After the Superior Court dismissed my claim against the Martin's, I appealed to Supreme Court of Maine, which upheld Judge Stewart's dismissal of my complaint. The decision was signed by none other than Justice Ellen Gorman. She's the judge who ruled summarily (that means you get no trial because the judge believes you have no evidence and could never win), against us in a lawsuit several years ago in which my son had broken his arm but had been treated for a dislocated shoulder. That treatment displaced the fracture and he had to be transported to another hospital for emergency surgery. I previously blogged about this, in 2007. On my homepage, type in "Gorman" in the search bar at the top left corner of the screen and you'll bring it up...along with other unjust decisions she's made.

Anyway, I have 90 days from the Maine Supreme Court's order on November 16, 2016 to file a cert petition, or at least put in a request for an extension. I plan on scanning some of the documents in my case  and placing them on this website.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment