Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Response from the governor's office, to request to pardon for thirty-year-old felon conviction

On May 4, I emailed Maine Governor Paul LePage about the unreasonable search and seizure at our home on April 28, 2011. I wrote "I fear that if you do not intervene, there'll be further violations by state agencies which will negatively impact the people of Maine." I included the following from the Maine Constitution: 
   Section 10. May require information of any officer. The Governor may require information from any military officer, or any officer in the executive department, upon any subject relating to the duties of their respective offices.
    
   Section 11. Power to pardon and remit penalties, etc.; conditions. The Governor shall have power to remit after conviction all forfeitures and penalties, and to grant reprieves, commutations and pardons, except in cases of impeachment, upon such conditions, and with such restrictions and limitations as may be deemed proper, subject to such regulations as may be provided by law, relative to the manner of applying for pardons. Such power to grant reprieves, commutations and pardons shall include offenses of juvenile delinquency.

  Section 12. Shall enforce the laws. The Governor shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed.
I got a read receipt, but that doesn't mean that the governor read my email; it could have been read by someone in his office. So, today, I called the governor's office, and spoke with Pat Condon, Director of Constituent Services. I told her that I had prepared my husband's application for a pardon; the pardon process does cost money, and takes six months to one year! Since my husband has been charged with being a "felon in possession of firearms," I asked if the governor would pardon him and bypass the pardoning board. I told Condon I had ordered my husband's criminal record, and obtained a copy of the original offense, and would send that to the governor. I told her that as long as he had the support of the people, he shouldn't have reservations about pardoning Pete.

So I received an email from Condon earlier today. There were two different fonts used in the text of her message; what I've italicized is the part that I think is a generic message used to respond to people who write in. Condon suggests I contact Pine Tree Legal. Huh, they don't take criminal cases! And, they only take about twenty percent - well that's what they claimed a few years ago anyway - of all civil cases people turn to them for help regarding.
May 25, 2011
Good afternoon!
Thank you for your e-mail dated May 4, 2011 to Governor LePage as well as your call to our office today.

The concerns you indicated in your e-mail is an ongoing investigation.  Unfortunately, the Governor is unable to intervene. 

If you have not already and desire to hire an attorney (at your expense) to represent your interests in this matter, the Maine State Bar Association offers a referral service – their number is (800) 860-1460.  This lawyer will assist you in navigating the rules of court, the relevant laws of the State, and help you in your efforts to obtain a favorable result.

If you are unable to afford an attorney, Pine Tree Legal Assistance offers free legal representation for qualifying people – their number is (207) 764-4349 at their office in Presque Isle, Maine.

I hope this information has been helpful.  Again, thank you for contacting Governor LePage. 

Sincerely,

Patricia A. Condon
Director, Constituent Services
Office of the Governor
1 State House Station
Augusta, Maine  04333
(207) 287-3418
CONDON LISTED HER DIRECT PHONE LINE. THE TELEPHONE NUMBER TO THE GOVERNOR'S OFFICE IS (207) 287-3531; BUT SINCE HE'S BEEN ELECTED, I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO SPEAK WITH HIM.